THE Queen made a “stinging” remark about Kate Middleton’s luxury lifestyle soon after she hooked up with Prince William, it is claimed.The 95-year-old monarch reportedly believed that “swanning from one five-star holiday resort to another” was “not the prerequisite for a young woman possibly destined to be Queen”.
In her 2010 biography William and Harry, author Katie Nicholl claimed that, by 2008, Kate’s “love of exotic holidays” had caught the Queen’s attention.She wrote: “If she was not with William at Balmoral then the couple were skiing or holidaying on Mustique.”Kate was there so often the press dubbed her ‘Queen of Mustique’, a title that had previously belonged to Princess Margaret.
“Britain was now in a recession and such frivolous displays of wealth were unpalatable to the Queen.”Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates…
17TH AUG 2021, 19:25
MEGHAN MARKLE FINALLY RECOGNISED AS MUM-OF-TWO BY ROYALS
The official web page for the Duchess of Sussex on royal.uk listed Meg as a mother of one until the end of July – even though baby Lili arrived on June 4.Before then, fans looking for information on Meghan were told: “The Duke and Duchess have one child, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.”
However, the site has now finally been updated.It reads: “The Duke and Duchess have two children, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor.”It’s the second time the official site has delayed changing details on Lili.
17TH AUG 2021, 19:10
THOMAS MARKLE JNR SAYS HE ONLY FOUND OUT ABOUT MEGHAN’S PREGNANCY IN THE PRESS. Thomas Markle Jr said he thought it was “really sad” he and other family members had to find out about Meghan’s pregnancy in the media – and thinks the monarch should now step in and tell her to make amends with her estranged American relatives.
“If she has one ounce of human kindness or humanity left in her heart – which I know she does – she should give it to my dad,” he told Sun Online.
“He is heartbroken about this whole situation and everybody knows that if it wasn’t for him, she wouldn’t be where she’s at today. She owes him that for sure.”
17TH AUG 2021, 18:50
MEGHAN MARKLE AND PRINCE HARRY ‘ATTACKING’ THE QUEEN IS ‘UNFORGIVABLE’ AND ’EMBARRASSING’, SAYS THOMAS
The 77-year-old, who is yet to meet grandchildren Archie and Lilibet, made the shocking statements during an interview with GB News.
He said: “For God’s sake. Attacking their 95-year-old grandmother is unforgiveable.
“None of the rest of the world deserves what they’ve been shovelling out. It’s embarrassing they are doing this.
“It’s embarrassing for them to be telling me a few years ago to ‘never talk to the press’, but then they spend three hours on a show with Oprah where Harry claims he’s reclaiming his mental illness and curing himself. It is a joke.
“You don’t go on the TV and talk for three hours and get rid of your mental illness, you talk to a psychiatrist in a room somewhere and you work out your problems.”
17TH AUG 2021, 18:35
PRINCE HARRY STATEMENT ON AFGHANISTAN
The Duke of Sussex has encouraged veterans to “offer support for one another” in the wake of the Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan.
As patron of the Invictus Games Foundation, which supports veterans’ recovery via sports competitions, Harry has issued a joint statement with the organisation’s chair Lord Allen of Kensington CBE and the chief executive Dominic Reid OBE.
Their statement said: “What’s happening in Afghanistan resonates across the international Invictus community.
“Many of the participating nations and competitors in the Invictus Games family are bound by a shared experience of serving in Afghanistan over the past two decades, and for several years, we have competed alongside Invictus Games Team Afghanistan.
“We encourage everybody across the Invictus network – and the wider military community – to reach out to each other and offer support for one another.”
17TH AUG 2021, 18:17
THE ‘HURTFUL’ SECRET DETAILS FROM MEGHAN’S INFAMOUS LETTER
Thomas Markle Jnr also warned warned there could be more “hurtful” details from the infamous letter the Duchess of Sussex sent to her estranged father.
The “private” letter which Meghan sent dad Thomas Markle in August 2018 has sparked a high-profile privacy case at the High Court.
Thomas has claimed the letter includes contents that he describes as “horrifying” and “very hurtful”, according to the Mirror.
17TH AUG 2021, 18:00
THE QUEEN OFFERS ‘THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS’ TO HAITI AFTER DEVASTATING EARTHQUAKE
Following the devastation that came after the earthquake on Saturday, the Queen has sent her condolences to the Prime Minister of Haiti.
The message read: “I am deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life and destruction caused by the earthquake in Haiti.
“My thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost their lives, loved ones and homes, as well as the emergency services working in the recovery effort.”
It was signed Elizabeth R.
At least 1,297 people are confirmed dead after a huge 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit western Haiti on Saturday.
The quake struck 8 km from the town of Petit Trou de Nippes, about 150 km west of the capital Port-au-Prince, at a depth of 10 km, the US Geological Survey said.
17TH AUG 2021, 17:40
MEGHAN ISN’T THE RIGHT WOMAN FOR HARRY, SAYS THOMAS MARKLE JNR
Thomas has written to the Duchess since – in one explosive letter even calling her “fake” and advising Prince Harry not to marry her.
Meghan isn’t his only target.
He has also come for her husband, Prince Harry. “As more time passes to your royal wedding, it became very clear that this is the biggest mistake in royal wedding history,” Tom wrote in a letter to the royal.
“Meghan Markle is obviously not the right woman for you.”
Her half-brother even wrote a letter to the Queen saying his sister was a “danger to the royal family” and their wedding should be halted.
17TH AUG 2021, 17:25
MEGHAN’S BROTHER THOMAS MARKLE JNR BLAMES DUCHESS FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO GET A JOB
While Meghan is now living in her £11m Santa Barbara mansion, life has been a little different for her brother. He previously said he had been living in a hotel room in Oregon – after losing his job, his home and being unable to find anywhere else to live.
He believes his name has become so notorious no one is willing to hire him or lease a house – and he blames his run of bad luck on being forced to live “under a microscope” with no help or support from his royal sibling.
In an exclusive interview with Sun Online, he said: “This is the lowest point of my life. And it’s all because my life suddenly got catapulted into the spotlight – through no fault of my own.
“My every move has been put under the microscope – not just for me but all my family.
“It’s tough to accept – especially when I never asked for any of this.”
17TH AUG 2021, 17:12
THOMAS MARKLE JNR SAYS MEGHAN PRETENDED HER FAMILY DIDN’T EXIST
Thomas claims he got in touch with Meghan through a lawyer to ask for help on how to deal with suddenly being thrust into the spotlight after news that she was dating Prince Harry broke.
However he was shocked when Meghan, who grew up with Thomas, apparently claimed she didn’t know him.
Tom told In Touch magazine at the time: “My lawyer had a phone meeting with her lawyer, and he emailed me some of her direct words.
“She said, ‘That’s distant family and I don’t know those people.’ That’s pretty harsh.”
17TH AUG 2021, 17:00
INSIDERS CLAIM QUEEN AND FAMILY MISSED SUNDAY CHURCH SERVICE AT BALMORAL ESTATE
Her Majesty and her family missed Sunday’s church service on the estate.
Insiders have suggested that they may have done so while waiting for the results of PCR tests.
The Queen’s trip to Balmoral is her first away from Windsor since the Duke of Edinburgh’s death in April.
Last month, sources said the “tired and grieving” monarch “could not wait” to get away. Family parties are planned despite the royals deeply missing Philip — affectionately dubbed the “Master of the Barbecue”.
William, Kate and their three children are expected to arrive later this month in addition to Mike and Zara Tindall.
17TH AUG 2021, 16:50
PICTURED: MEGHAN AND HARRY STATEMENT ON AFGHANISTAN
In a lengthy joint statement posted on their Archewell site, the pair urged the world to prove “our humanity”.
And they expressed their heartache at other global issues – including the earthquake in Haiti and new Covid variants.
The couple – using their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles – wrote: “As we all feel the many layers of pain due to the situation in Afghanistan, we are left speechless.